I have returned to Eastern Equatoria where the dry season has officially kicked in…I can tell because my back is wet, the roads are hard and the feeling of dust in my eyes is constant. We can kiss goodbye any hopes of sleeping in this heat now that AC is off the menu and 45 degrees is on it….the container formally known as mini-Scotland has been renamed “AGA the sizzling sarcophagus”. It feels like the Eastern Equatoria I’d almost forgot given my time in Juba before leaving for the Bonnieland the other joys, such as sharing an Ethernet cable with 3 others, a broken generator and a chef that can’t cook… I almost sound spoiled…but if I was allowed to wonder around markets and have a pot to cook with, I would.
My first day back at work and there’s no time to mess around, not from my side anyway…I now have more laptops than friends here who can use them. Ten to be exact: one for each County ‘Peace Committee’ and two for me (I had three but feeling less selfish now). Unsurprisingly disorganised, the Danish (DG) and Catholics (RS) should be paying me extra for my library of pirate software packages…what would they have done about getting Counties to map a database and send it online if it weren’t for piracy? ESRI don’t do licenses here (yet), genuine Microsoft Access copies’s are nowhere to be seen and who carries around antivirus software bar the random geek with dreads? That’s what I thought, nobody.
It’s not all doom and gloom though, the chicken that once pranced around our compound making blether is now dead (in my name apparently)….and in my belly with some chilli sauce and rice topped with one can of Irn Bru. Phenomenal. That’s right, Sudan’s recent imports include one crate of 15 cans of the golden stuff and one bottle of 14 year old Glenfiddich, so who needs ice…!
No comments:
Post a Comment